The PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital is a one-year postgraduate training program that begins on July 1st annually. Residents in the PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency program will participate in the care of premature infants, toddlers, older children, and adolescents. Upon completion of this residency, pharmacists will be able to skillfully educate other pharmacy and pediatric practitioners. They will be able to optimize therapeutic outcomes by functioning as an integral member of a pediatric practice.
Rotations and Experiences
PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residents will be exposed to a broad range of experiences and activities intended to build the skills necessary to practice as a clinical pharmacist in the pediatric setting. Residents are required to complete an orientation month, along with 7 month-long rotations. The remaining months will consist of a research project month and 3 month-long elective rotations.
Residents will conduct a research project throughout their residency year that includes presenting the results at a regional residency conference and preparing a written manuscript. Presentation skills will be enhanced by giving an ACPE-accredited seminar presentation along with case presentations throughout the year. Residents will also gain experience with teaching and precepting through the completion of a Teaching Certificate program and co-precepting pharmacy students on clinical rotations.
- General Pediatrics (2 months)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Critical Care (2 months)
- Neonatal Critical Care (2 months)
- Case Presentations
- Journal Club
- Medication Use Evaluation
- Pharmacy Staffing
- Research Project / Manuscript
- Seminar Presentation (ACPE-accredited)
- Teaching Certificate
- Any Core Rotation
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Pain Management
- Pediatric Nephrology
12 days plus 6 holidays (Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day)
Financial support is offered to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and the ALCALDE Residency Meeting.
Health, dental, and vision plans are available.
Texas has no state income tax.
ASHP Midyear Information
- The PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency will be at the Residency Showcase at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting in December. Please stop by and visit with us to learn more about our residency opportunities.
- The PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency will be participating in the Personnel Placement Service (PPS) at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. If you would like to arrange an interview time prior to the meeting, please send an email to email@example.com.
Application Requirements and Process
- A strong academic record and demonstrate a desire for professional accomplishment.
- Graduated from an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy with a Pharm.D.
- Completed a one-year ASHP-accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Residency.
- Eligibility for licensure as a pharmacist in Texas
- See the Texas State Board of Pharmacy website for licensure requirements.
- All residents MUST be licensed within 90 days of the residency start date.
- Registered with PhORCAS and the ASHP Residency Matching Program.
Applications must be submitted through the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS).
Application deadline is January 7th.
Applicants considered for a position will be invited for an on-site interview at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center during January or February. Applicants will be given a tour of the facilities and will have a chance to meet with the Residency Program Director, clinical pharmacy staff, and current pharmacy residents.
Memorial Hermann recognizes the health benefits of a tobacco-free lifestyle as well as the special duty to maintain and promote a healthy and safe environment for our patients, visitors, physicians, and employees. In an effort to further this goal, Memorial Hermann will no longer hire individuals who use tobacco products in any form.
For further information, contact:
Shannan K. Eades, PharmD
Program Director, PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency
Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
6411 Fannin St.
Houston, TX 77030-1501