ASHP Midyear Information
The PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital (MHSW) provides a comprehensive educational and practical experience that develops competent clinicians in a multi-site community hospital practice setting.
The pharmacist completing this residency program shall have the ability to effectively and independently provide pharmaceutical care with a foundation of evidence-based medicine that ultimately results in the best pharmacotherapeutic outcomes. The pharmacist shall, as a member of the health care team, have the ability to adeptly identify and resolve pharmacotherapy-related problems in the acute care setting. After completing the program, the pharmacist shall have a strong knowledge of self-assessment and how to improve based on self-learning activities. The pharmacist will be prepared for practicing in an acute care setting as well as have the foundation with which to continue on to complete a PGY2 specialized residency experience. The resident will also have a strong commitment to the advancement of the profession of pharmacy.
Core Rotations (7)
- Internal medicine (choice of 2)
a. Cardiology (MHSW)
b. Geriatrics (MHSW)
c. Neurology (MHSW)
d. Neuro-Rehab (MH TIRR)
- Critical Care (MHSW)
- Infectious Diseases (MHSW)
- Emergency Department (MHKY/MHSW)
- Patient/Medication Safety (MH TIRR)
- Ambulatory Care (MHFM)
Elective Rotations (3)
- Any Core Rotation
- Cardiovascular Surgery (CVICU)
- Corporate Pharmacy
- Off-site Rotations
MHSW = Memorial Hermann Southwest; MHKY = Memorial Hermann Katy; MH TIRR = Memorial Hermann–The Institute for Rehab and Research; MHFM = Memorial Hermann Family Medicine
- Practice management
- Pharmacy staffing/drug distribution (every third weekend at MHSW)
- Research project
- Drug monograph
- University of Houston Teaching Certificate program
- CE presentation
- ACLS/Code participation
- Clinical On-call
ASHP Midyear Information
The MHSW PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency will be at the Residency Showcase at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting in December. Please stop by and visit with us to learn more about our residency program.
The candidate for this one-year pharmacy residency must have:
- A strong academic record and demonstrate a desire for professional accomplishment
- Graduated from an ACPE- accredited college of pharmacy with a Pharm.D. degree by the start of the residency year.
- Entry-level knowledge and skills equivalent to that which would be expected of a recent doctor of pharmacy or other appropriate advanced degree candidate.
- Eligibility for licensure as a pharmacist in Texas
- Registered with ASHP Residency Matching program and the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application (PhORCAS)
- Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Reference
Separate letter of reference is required along with the PHORCAS standardized reference form.
Application must be submitted through PhORCAS (Program Code: 74138; NMS CODE: 140013) by January 7, 2013.
Malar Narayanan, Pharm.D., BCPS
Program Director, PGY1 Pharmacy Residency
Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital
7600 Beechnut, Houston, TX 77074
Phone: 713.456.5930 Fax: 713.456.5214