ASHP Midyear Information
The PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital (MHSW) provides a comprehensive educational and practical experience that develops competent clinicians in a multi-site community hospital practice setting.
The MHSW PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency is an ASHP-accredited, one-year program that has a curriculum designed to provide a wide range of pharmacy practice experiences that foster the residents’ ability to understand all of the aspects of contemporary pharmacy practice in the acute care hospital setting. Pharmacists successfully completing this residency will be confident and competent practitioners defined as performing in a manner that satisfies the demands of the situation and interact effectively in multiple health care environments.
These pharmacists, in conjunction with an interdisciplinary healthcare team, will be responsible and accountable for the provision and oversight of evidence-based, patient-centered medication related outcomes. Communication skills will be enhanced through interacting effectively with health care professionals and patients. Effective leadership and management skills will be developed to enable the pharmacist to meet the challenges of the current and future practice of pharmacy. Professional maturity will be developed through personal philosophy and professional commitment.
ASHP Midyear Information
The candidate for this one-year pharmacy practice residency must have:
- A strong academic record and demonstrate a desire for professional accomplishment
- Graduated from an ACPE- accredited college of pharmacy with a Pharm.D. degree by the start of the residency year.
- Entry-level knowledge and skills equivalent to that which would be expected of a recent doctor of pharmacy or other appropriate advanced degree candidate.
- Eligibility for licensure as a pharmacist in Texas
- Registered with ASHP Residency Matching program and PhORCAS
Application must be submitted through the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS).
Application deadline is January 15th.
Applicants considered for a position will be invited for an interview with the program director, Department of Pharmacy director and manager, clinical pharmacists and residents in January or February.
- Internal medicine ( Choice of 2 rotations)
- Cardiology (MHSW)
- Geriatrics (MHSW)
- Neurology (MHSW)
- Neuro-Rehab (MH TIRR)
- Critical Care (MHMC)
- Infectious Diseases (MHMC)
- Emergency Department (MHKY)
- Patient/Medication Safety (MH TIRR)
- Ambulatory care ( MHFM)
- Practice Management
- Pharmacy Staffing/Drug Distribution (every 3rd weekend; MHSW)
- Drug Monograph
- UH Teaching certificate program
- CE presentation
- ACLS/Attending code
- Any Core Rotation
- Critical Care (MHSW)
- Rehab (MH KATY)
- Corporate Pharmacy
[* MHSW = Memorial Hermann Southwest; MHMC = Memorial Hermann Memorial City; MHKY = Memorial Hermann Katy; MH TIRR = Memorial Hermann-The Institute for Rehab and Research; MHFM – Memorial Hermann Family Medicine]
Completion of a residency project involving research methodology, feasibility assessment or implementation of a pharmacy system or program is also required.
- Resident Stipend: $50,000
- Vacation: Ten (10) days and national holidays (Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day)
- Meetings: Financial support is offered to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and the ALCALDE/TSHP Meeting.
- Health Insurance: Health, dental and vision plans are available
- Taxes: Texas has no state income tax
For Further Information, contact:
Malar Narayanan Pharm.D., BCPS
Program Director, PGY1 Residency
Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital
Department of Pharmacy Services
Houston, Texas 77074
Telephone: (713) 456-5930
FAX: (713) 456-5214