Get Started at Memorial Hermann NewStart Texas Medical Center
About Our Program
At our Texas Medical Center location, you'll have a full range of minimally invasive weight loss surgery options to consider, including: Gastric Band & Lap Band, Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y, Duodenal Switch and Revisions.
Our clinic, located in Bellaire, offers convenient, free parking and easy access. At Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, we have a dedicated area of private rooms and specially trained nurses and staff attuned to the specific needs of weight loss surgery patients. We also offer robotic-assisted surgery, which simplifies a number of existing procedures, making them less invasive and decreasing recovery time.
Memorial Hermann-TMC has been recognized as a fully accredited Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) Center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). ACS designates as MBSAQIP Centers only those programs with a demonstrated track record of favorable outcomes for weight loss surgery. The rate of complications for MBSAQIP Centers is extremely low.
In the comprehensive, patient-centered bariatric surgery program at Memorial Hermann–Texas Medical Center, our number one priority is providing you with the full support you need for safe, successful and sustainable weight loss. From pre-surgical counseling and information sessions, to surgery with a top multidisciplinary team, to extended and compassionate post-surgical support, we seek to meet your medical and personal needs in every way we can.
The Next Steps are Easy: Pick an Info Session
Now that you have selected your location (Step 1), pick an information session to learn more about our procedures (Step 2). We offer these free informational sessions in the following formats:
- Watch a video presentation on your computer right now - select the option in the field below
- Attend a seminar in person with a NewStart bariatric surgeon
Memorial Hermann -Texas Medical Center
Houston, Texas 77030
NewStart Texas Medical Center Surgical Weight Loss Program Manager:
Christine Spano, RN
Memorial Hermann NewStart -Texas Medical Center
For more information about our seminars or our program, contact weight loss coordinator Christine Spano at (713) 704-0041 or email us at click here.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- A highly respected facility: Our facility has been recognized as a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program Center by the American College of Surgeons, in recognition of our excellent patient outcomes and low complication rates.
- A top-notch multidisciplinary team: Each patient receives care from a multidisciplinary team of dietitians, psychological counselors and experienced bariatric nurses and surgeons, all of whom work closely together to provide comprehensive support.
- A superior patient experience: Staying in our dedicated bariatric unit, patients enjoy the comfort of private rooms and receive care from skilled and sensitive nurses with years of experience in bariatric surgery.
- A personal bariatric coordinator: A specially assigned coordinator will listen to your questions, answer any concerns, and take you through the details of preparing for the surgery as well as helping you manage the lifestyle changes that occur after your surgery.
- A wide range of expertise: Our expertise includes all weight-loss surgery options (gastric banding or lap band, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass and duodenal switch) as well as the most complex revisions and reversals.
- An innovative research department: Because of our affiliation with the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Medical School, our physicians maintain a focus on research, driving some of the most cutting-edge weight-loss work in the nation.
- Access to cutting-edge technology: Utilizing minimally-invasive robotic technology, our teams perform surgeries more accurately and provide patients with decreased recovery time, less pain, less scarring, and improved outcomes.
- Advocates to help you with insurance: Our program helps you understand the details of your insurance policy, walking you through your requirements, level of coverage, deductible, and estimated out-of-pocket costs.
Memorial Hermann Bariatric Programs (Southeast, Memorial City or Texas Medical Center) are certified by MBSAQIP. However, patients should request a physician's personal certification, if any, and their experience and qualifications before proceeding with any bariatrics procedure.