The videoesophagram allows your doctor to examine the anatomy of the pharynx, esophagus and the stomach. This study requires swallowing a thick, chalky substance commonly known as barium. During the procedure, your doctor may change your position to better view the anatomy. Digital pictures will be obtained while swallowing.
How should I prepare for the procedure?
- You may have regular meals on the day before the test.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight. This also includes chewing gum, mints and hard candies.
- You may take certain necessary medications with a small sip of water up to two hours before the test. Please check with your doctor regarding any medications you take.
- Notify the nurse or doctor if you are diabetic! Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding insulin dosage and when to take your pills for diabetes.
- You will need to discontinue Bentyl, Carafate and Reglan 72 hours prior to testing.
What can I expect during the esophagram and barium burger with video test?
- No sedatives will be given for this test.
- The test will take 30 to 45 minutes.
- This study requires swallowing a thick, chalky substance commonly known as barium.
- During the procedure, your doctor may change your position to better view the anatomy.
- Digital pictures will be obtained while swallowing.
What happens after the esophagram and barium burger with video test?
- Upon completion of the test, you may resume your normal daily activities, diet and medications.
- Since no sedatives are given, you will be able to drive yourself home.
- Please schedule a follow-up visit with your doctor to discuss the results of the test.
- If you experience any problems after the test, please contact your doctor.