Dr. Michele M. Johnson is a neurosurgeon with expertise in neurosurgical treatment of disorders of the spinal column and spinal cord.
An assistant professor of neurosurgery at UTHealth Medical School, Dr. Johnson earned her medical degree with honors from Yale University School of Medicine. She completed her neurosurgery residency in 2007 and a spine fellowship in 2008 at Emory University. Her research has focused on:
- epilepsy, including depth electrode placement and necessity and outcomes after selective surgery without preoperative invasive monitoring
- spinal surgery
- molecular mechanisms and genetic analysis of autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome
- immunotherapy for multiple sclerosis and other T cell-mediated autoimmune diseases.
She has co-authored studies that have been published in Genetics, the Journal of Immunology, American Journal of Neuroradiology and Science.
As a specialist in complex spinal surgery and minimally invasive spinal surgery, Dr. Johnson is available to consult on all disorders related to the spine and spinal cord.
Dr. Johnson specializes in the following diseases and treatments:
- Degenerative disc disease (cervical, thoracic and lumbar)
- Complex spinal instrumentation
- Spine and spinal cord tumors
- Minimally invasive spine procedures
- Spinal trauma