Tom C. Nguyen, M.D.
Assistant professor; Director of Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery
Dr. Tom Nguyen is a native Houstonian and graduate of Rice University. He later earned his medical degree at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (Baltimore, Maryland). He completed a residency in general surgery and a fellowship in cardiovascular research at Stanford University (Stanford, California) and subsequently a fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital (New York City, New York). After training, he spent an additional year as an advanced structural heart TAVR fellow at Emory University (Atlanta, Georgia). He now returns back to the medical center and is glad to call Houston home.
Board certified in thoracic surgery, Dr. Nguyen is interested in performing the most complex operations through the least invasive approach. His research interests encompass valvular heart disease, TAVR, surgical simulation/education, and with grants from the NIH, TSFRA, and AHA. Dr. Nguyen regularly presents at national/international meetings and has received numerous research and teaching awards. He was the past President of the TSRA, resident editor of CTSNet, and member of the ACGME/RRC. Additionally, he is the editor several surgical textbooks and has over 60 peer-reviewed publications. In his spare time, he enjoys traveling and volunteered as a surgeon in Africa (Asmara, Eritrea) for 6 weeks. Recently, he was a recipient of the Houston Business Journal's top 40 under 40 award.
Undergoing cardiac surgery can be a daunting, but Dr. Nguyen wants to assure patients his commitment to clinical excellence and patient care. His practice philosophy is compassion, patience, and availability. Contact him anytime and he will get back to you as soon as possible.
Dr. Nguyen is a resident of the Texas Medical Center area.
Watch the video below for more on Dr. Nguyen
- Cardio Thoracic Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Structural Heart Disease
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Surgical Education
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation’s Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award by Stanford Medical Students
- Finalist for the Resident Award for Exemplary Teaching by the American College of Surgeons
- Administrative Chief Resident, Stanford University
- Chief Resident, Columbia University
- Johnson & Johnson Physician Scholar in International Health (Eritrea, Africa)
- Vivian Thomas Young Investigator Award Finalist – AHA 2007
- Bay Area Society of Thoracic Surgery (BASTS) Research Award (2007)
- Stanford Department of Surgery Research Award (2007)
- Thoracic Surgery Foundation Research Endowment (TSRFE) Research Grant
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) LRP Research Grant
- American Heart Association (AHA) Medical Student Grant
- American Legions Texas Boys State (2002)
- 2014 Houston Business Journal top 40 under 40 award
Dr. Nguyen In The News
Watch video below to see Dr. Tom Nguyen on Great Day Houston.
Videos of Dr. Nguyen
Larry's Story - Minimally Invasive Surgery to Repair Heart ValveWatch the video »
During a visit with his cardiologist Larry was diagnosed with aortic stenosis. Larry was then referred to Memorial Hermann affiliated cardiothoracic and vascular surgeon Dr. Tuyen (Tom) Nguyen.