The Memorial Hermann Southeast Endoscopy Center and GI Laboratory offers advanced diagnostic testing and treatment for digestive diseases such as ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Barrett’s esophagus, colon cancer and inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's and ulcerative colitis).
Large rooms in the 15-bed unit provide patients comfort and privacy during procedures.
At our Endoscopy Center, highly-trained physicians and nursing staff have access to the latest in endoscopic examination technology, including endoscopic video technology, narrow-band imaging and endoscopic ultrasound, as well as a computerized reporting system.
We offer endoscopic evaluation of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, pancreas, liver, gallbladder, colon and respiratory system. We also offer diagnostic testing of the lungs, trachea and airway with a video bronchoscope.
Procedures performed include:
- Upper endoscopy (EGD)
- Multiple-banding ligation
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Liver Biopsy
- Gastrostomy/PEG/PEJ Placement
- Endoscopic ultrasound with diagnostic and biopsy capabilities
- Esophageal motility studies with air-charged catheterization and/or conventional solid-state catheter
- Esophageal reflux and pain studies
- 24-hour pH probe
- Bravo 48 pH capsule
- Rectal manometry
- Pulmonary exams, including bronchoscopy with biopsy and transbronchial biopsy
- Rectal ultrasound with biopsy capabilities
Narrow-band imaging is an advanced lighting technology that offers remarkably clear views of the surface structure and fine capillary patterns of the mucous membranes, which are normally difficult to distinguish.
Using this state-of-the-art technology, physicians are better able to identify and isolate diseased and cancerous cells at their earliest, most treatable stage.
Endoscopy Patient Guidelines
To expedite your preadmission testing and ensure that your experience is as pleasant as possible please follow the guidelines outlined below.
Depending on the type of insurance or other health coverage you have, you may be required to precertify with your insurance company. Please discuss precertification requirements with your doctor before your procedure is scheduled.
- On the day of your procedure, please arrive at the Memorial Hermann Southeast Outpatient Services registration desk, located on the 2nd floor.
- Prior to the procedure you will be asked to complete an anesthesia/sedation questionnaire detailing your medical history, allergies, previous surgeries and medications.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the procedure, unless otherwise directed by your physician. Ask your physician if you need to take blood pressure, heart, diabetes or other medications with a sip of water the morning of your procedure. Please bring with you a list of all medications you are currently taking.
- Wear non-binding, comfortable clothing (warm-ups, loose dress, roomy pants or shorts). No makeup or jewelry, please.
- You will NOT be permitted to drive yourself home or take public transportation alone. Please make arrangements to have a responsible adult accompany you home after discharge, or your procedure may be rescheduled.
- During the procedure, family members will be directed to the appropriate reception area. They will be notified when your endoscopy is completed and you have been taken to the recovery area.
- Before you are discharged, you will be instructed regarding your home care.
- Insurance cards, identification, referrals or any paperwork given to you by your physician
- List of Medications you are currently taking
- Please have a driver
After the endoscopic procedure, you will be transported to the endoscopy recovery area for observation. While you’re there, your blood pressure, pulse and respirations will be checked at frequent intervals. A recovery area nurse will be attending your immediate needs and will assist in your discharge from the area.
- If you have received sedative medication, please do not drive for 24 hours. Your physician may put additional restrictions on your driving.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours or while taking medication.
- Discharge instructions will be given to you by your physician and the discharge nurse.
- If you have any problems or questions during your recovery at home, please contact your physician.
- A member of the nursing staff will call you 24 to 72 hours after your endoscopy procedure.
online scheduling for Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital - Colonoscopy powered by HealthPost