Diabetes Management Program
The Diabetes Management Program at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital can help meet the challenge of successfully living with diabetes. Taking responsibility for the day-to-day management of diabetes is a challenge. That's why it is important to have the practical skills, information, guidance and support needed to control diabetes.
Our program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association and meets national standards for diabetes patient education. Our program is led by a coordinator/nurse educator that is a certified Diabetes Educator and a Registered Dietitian.
Instruction is available in every language. Please call (713) 456-5150 to find out more information on special accommodations.
Self-management training programs are offered in group sessions. Topics covered include:
- Food - individual eating plan, carbohydrate and fat control, quick and healthy cooking, eating out, label reading
- Exercise - why, how, when, what kind
- Medications - what they are and what they do
- Monitoring blood glucose - meters and pattern management
- Complications - how to delay and/or prevent them
- Living with Diabetes - feelings, family and friends
- Behavior change - strategies and plans for change
Classes on Type 2 and Gestational Diabetes are offered once a week. For added convenience, evening and weekend classes are also available. The classes are held at the Memorial Hermann Heart & Vascular Institute - Southwest.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to class for check-in. Please have a photo ID and insurance card available.
Diabetes can be controlled through individual follow-up visits. Call (713) 456-5150
to schedule an appointment or for more information on individual training.
Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital
Houston, Texas 77074