Endoscopy Patient Guidelines
To expedite your preadmission testing and ensure that your experience is as pleasant as possible please follow the guidelines outlined below. Use the button at the top right of this screen to print your guidelines.
Depending on the type of insurance or other health coverage you have, you may be required to pre-certify with your insurance company. Please discuss pre-certification requirements with your doctor before your procedure is scheduled.
- On the day of your procedure, please arrive at the Memorial Hermann Southwest Day Surgery and Endoscopy on the second floor of POB #1 7777 SW Freeway, Suite 200 in Houston, TX.
- Prior to the procedure you will be asked a questionnaire detailing your medical history, allergies, previous surgeries and medications.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the procedure, unless otherwise directed by your physician. Ask your physician if you need to take blood pressure, heart, diabetes or other medications with a sip of water the morning of your procedure.
- Please bring a list of all medications you are currently taking.
- Make sure to follow any other preparation orders given to you by your physician.
- Wear non-binding, comfortable clothing (warm-ups, loose dress, roomy pants or shorts).
- Please do not bring any makeup or jewelry and leave all valuables at home.
- You will NOT be permitted to drive yourself home, take a cab alone, or take public transportation alone. Please make arrangements to have a responsible adult accompany you home after discharge, or your procedure may be rescheduled.
- During the procedure, family members will be directed to the appropriate reception area. They will be notified when your endoscopy is completed and you have been taken to the recovery area.
- Before you are discharged, you will be instructed regarding your home care.
- Insurance cards, identification, referrals or any paperwork given to you by your physician
- List of medications you are currently taking
- Please have a driver to take you home
After the endoscopic procedure, you will be transported to the endoscopy recovery area for observation. While you're there, your blood pressure, pulse and respirations will be checked at frequent intervals. A recovery area nurse will be attending your immediate needs and will assist in your discharge from the area.
- If you have received sedative medication, please do not drive for 24 hours. Your physician may put additional restrictions on your driving.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours.
- Discharge instructions will be given to you by your physician and the discharge nurse.
- If you have any problems or questions during your recovery at home, please contact your physician.
- A member of the nursing staff will call you 24 to 72 hours after your endoscopy procedure.