Senior Behavioral Health Services
Memorial Hermann Southwest offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient behavioral services for patients 65 and older experiencing psychiatric disorders.
Senior Treatment and Recovery Unit for Behavioral Care (S.T.A.R.)
The S.T.A.R. Unit, located on the 8th floor of the hospital, has unique programming specially designed for the treatment of patients over the age of 65 with behavioral health needs.
Our staff includes a talented, multidisciplinary team of affiliated doctors;social workers; nurses; activity, occupational and physical therapists;dietitians; chaplains; and personal care aides. These dedicated caregivers are well trained to assist physicians in the treatment of these special patients. They are available 24/7 to meet the medical, spiritual and mental health needs of senior patients.
This totally remodeled wing of the hospital is designed to provide seniors a safe, protected and modern environment.
The S.T.A.R. senior unit provides:
- Comfortable, private hospital beds and private bathroom facilities
- State-of-the-art equipment and security
- Library and lounge available for quiet times and evenings
- Scheduled groups and therapies necessary for the improvement of mental health issues
The admission criteria for the S.T.A.R. unit are:
- 65 years or older
- A principal psychiatric diagnosis has been made, in addition to diagnostic or medication evaluations/stabilization
- Patient is cognitively capable of benefiting from treatment, and there is an expectation of improvement in symptoms or behavior
- Patient may have experienced an abrupt change in behavior
- Must be able to attend group sessions
For referrals call
713-456-5140 prompt 4; for information 713-456-4800.
STAR Partial Hospitalization Program
The Senior Treatment and Recovery (STAR) Partial Hospitalization Program at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital is a structured outpatient program of psychotherapy and other therapeutic services specifically designed to meet the mental health needs of persons 65 years of age and older. The program provides intensive mental health treatment as an alternative to inpatient hospitalization or as a step-down option following inpatient hospitalization.
The goal of the Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is to furnish mental health/behavioral services in lieu of inpatient psychiatric care. The program philosophy is based on the belief that individuals can make significant changes in how they cope with life’s demands and stressors.
Individuals who are 65 years of age or older and:
- Do not require the 24-hour-per-day level of care provided in an inpatient setting
- Have an adequate support system to sustain/maintain themselves outside the PHP program
- Are not a danger to themselves or others
- Need this level of care to prevent inpatient hospitalization
- Show evidence of failure at or inability to benefit from a less intensive outpatient program
- Experience an acute onset or a decompensation of a covered Axis I mental disorder which severely interferes with multiple areas of daily life
- Require active treatment, including a combination of services such as intensive nursing and medical intervention, psychotherapy, occupational and activity therapy
- Require PHP services at levels of intensity and frequency comparable to patients in an inpatient setting for similar psychiatric illnesses
- Have the cognitive and emotional ability to participate in the active treatment process and can tolerate the intensity of the PHP program
For more information or to refer a patient call 713.456.5160.