The Volunteer Service program was established in June 1948, at the High Star Facility with 12 women from First Baptist Church. Under the leadership of Mrs. Robert Jolly, the first volunteer activity within the hospital was a bookmobile. The service expanded with volunteers helping at the information desk in the main lobby. A full-time Volunteer Director was employed by the hospital in 1953. A few years later, in 1957, a very carefully screened group of teenage girls was organized into a program called "Candy Stripers".
Today at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital "The Caring Team," as our volunteers are known, is comprised of more than 350 volunteers. Volunteers work in almost every area of the hospital. In previous years, over 125,000 hours have been served at Memorial Hermann Southwest to benefit patients and the hospital. Volunteers are still taking books and magazines to patients, working at the information desk and giving nursing scholarships. Volunteer funds are used to support hospital projects.
The volunteer office is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 713-456-5180 to inquire about our orientations and requirements.
Becki Baird, RN - ManagerRuth Conner - Supervisor
Deborah Varner - Weekend Supervisor
7600 Beechnut St
Houston, Texas 77074
Tel: (713) 456-5180
Fax: (713) 456-5336