Volunteer at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital
The Volunteer Service program was established in June 1948, at the High Star Facility with 12 women from First Baptist Church. Under the leadership of Mrs. Robert Jolly, the first volunteer activity within the hospital was a bookmobile. The service expanded with volunteers helping at the information desk in the main lobby. A full-time Volunteer Director was employed by the hospital in 1953. A few years later, in 1957, a very carefully screened group of teenage girls was organized into a program called "Candy Stripers".
The Caring Team
Today at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital "The Caring Team," as our volunteers are known, is comprised of more than 350 volunteers. Volunteers work in almost every area of the hospital. In previous years, over 125,000 hours have been served at Memorial Hermann Southwest to benefit patients and the hospital. Volunteers are still taking books and magazines to patients, working at the information desk and giving nursing scholarships. Volunteer funds are used to support hospital projects.
Volunteer Office Hours
The volunteer office is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 713-456-5180 to inquire about our orientations and requirements.
- Patient and Family Hospitality Suite:
- Greet the public
- Give direction to patients and visitors to different areas of the campus
- Answer telephones
- General clerical duties
- Emergency Room: Support staff directing visitors and non-emergency services patients to the appropriate location.
- Heart Services: Someone who can make copies, fax reports to doctors, type labels and file.
- Information Desk
- Intensive Care Waiting Rooms
- Popcorn Machine
- Hospital Floors
- Wayfinders Desk
- Golf Cart
- Commit to one full year and one 4-hour shift per week
- Complete orientation, interview, background check and TB test
- Willingness to follow uniform dress code
- Friendly and positive attitude
- Adhere to rules and regulations
- Willingness to have patient contact
- Sensitivity to the need of others
- Capacity for empathetic concern for patients and their families
- Ability to act quickly and calmly; coping effectively with unusual situations and demands
- Cooperative willingness to take instruction graciously and adhere to policy and procedure
- Participate in a yearly safety refresher course
Annual Volunteer Events
- Installation of officers
- Volunteer appreciation luncheon
Contact Us for More Information
Becki Baird, RN - Manager
Ruth Conner - Supervisor
Deborah Varner - Weekend Supervisor
7600 Beechnut St
Houston, Texas 77074
Tel: (713) 456-5180
Fax: (713) 456-5336