Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center
Gynecological Oncology Program
From diagnosis to treatment, Memorial Hermann Cancer Center-Texas Medical Center and its affiliated physicians offer a range of innovative and specialized treatments for gynecologic cancers. The affiliated physicians from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Medical School, are also involved in clinical research that translates directly into advanced patient care.
Why Choose Memorial Hermann-TMC?
The cancer center at Memorial Hermann Hospital-TMC offers:
- Comprehensive patient management in a single location
- Options for fertility preservation and minimally invasive surgery
- Quick response to referrals and appointments usually scheduled within 24-48 hours
- A focus on maintaining optimum quality of life during treatment
- Specialized care for women at high risk of gynecologic cancers
- A high level of expertise and experience in the management of all types of gynecologic cancers
- Cancer treatment during pregnancy
- Opportunities to participate in clinical trials of new treatments
A one-stop, team approach to care
Beginning with a single contact number for appointments and information – 713-486-1170 – the Cancer Center’s focus on comprehensive patient care ensures that patients never feel passed along from doctor to doctor or lost in a medical maze.
The gynecological cancer team includes a social worker, nurse navigator, certified genetic counselor who specializes in cancer genetics, clinical nutrition specialists, and a doctorate-level pharmacist. The Center also includes comprehensive on-site laboratory and radiological facilities. For patients who are concerned about fertility preservation, it coordinates services with the Houston Fertility Institute, experts in reproductive endocrinology, egg preservation and ovarian stimulation.
Weekly pathology reviews, tumor conferences and a Tumor Board ensure that care is carefully coordinated among physicians and members of the support team.
Early, accurate diagnosis
Because early and accurate diagnosis of gynecological cancer is key to effective treatment, the Cancer Center’s specialized pathologists and diagnostic radiologists offer patients leading-edge technology and techniques, including:
- PET/CT (positron emission tomography) scans
- High-resolution CT (computed tomography) scans
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- Advanced colposcopy
The Cancer Center offers standardized screening protocols for patients at high risk for cancer due to
family history, genetic susceptibility or environmental exposure. Patients at high risk for breast, ovarian,
colon or other sites will be offered a recommended individualized screening program or other
interventions to reduce their risk of cancer.
Exceptional treatment for all types of cancer
The Gynecologic Oncologists at Memorial Hermann-TMC have exceptional expertise in the evaluation and management of all types of gynecological cancers or conditions suspected to be cancer, including:
- Pelvic masses
- Abnormal tumor markers
- Ovarian cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine (endometrial) cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Fallopian tube cancer
- Gynecologic sarcomas
- Gestational trophoblastic disease (a type of cancer that develops in the uterus)
- HPV (human papillomavirus) infection and pre-invasive diseases (dysplasia) of the vulva, vagina and cervix
Among the highly advanced technologies and treatment options offered by the Cancer Center are:
- State-of-the-art surgical techniques, including minimally invasive, robotic, radical and ultraradical surgery
- Techniques that preserve organ and sexual function
- Surgical procedures that preserve the ability to have children, including radical trachelectomy
- Laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
- Current chemotherapeutic techniques including intravenous therapy and intraperitoneal therapy
- Access to innovative and state-of-the-art radiation therapy
- Cytoreductive surgery
Cancer and pregnancy
The most common forms of cancer that occur during pregnancy are lymphoma and breast cancer.
For mothers-to-be who are diagnosed with cancer, the Center works closely on treatment protocols with Memorial Hermann Hospital-affiliated specialists in maternal-fetal medicine.
Memorial Hermann-TMC’s affiliation with UTHealth provides qualifying patients with access to clinical trials and research programs that expand treatment options with novel therapies that are not commercially available. There are clinical trials currently available for HPV infection, cervical dysplasia, and cancers of the cervix, uterus, fallopian tube, ovary and peritoneum.
Physicians may refer patients to the Cancer Center for suspected or diagnosed cancer or any other complicated gynecological condition such as endometriosis. Throughout treatment, periodic updates are provided to referring physicians, allowing them to stay up-to-date on patients’ progress.
The gynecological oncology program affiliated multidisciplinary team
To refer a patient to Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center’s Gynecological Oncology Program, call 713-486-1170.
Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza
6400 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77030
Memorial Hermann Southeast
11914 Astoria Blvd.
Houston, TX 77089