Summer Teen Volunteer Program
The Summer Teen Volunteer Program is for high school students (minimum age 15 years old by June 1, 2019). It is a seven week program that will begin with a mandatory volunteer orientation tentatively scheduled for June 7, 2019 with the program ending July 26, 2019.
All accepted teens are to make a donation of $50 which will cover uniform costs and help fund the Memorial Hermann - TMC Volunteer Foundation.
This is a daytime and summer-only opportunity. No evening, weekend, or year-round volunteer opportunities are available.
Training, communicating effectively, developing good customer skills, and working alongside patients, staff and adult volunteers are key components of the program.
Teen volunteers participating will serve in a variety of ways:
- Administrative tasks
- Patient transportation/support
- Special projects
Teen volunteers will not shadow or participate in observation of medical staff or procedures.
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019 Summer Teen Volunteer Program.
- Commitment: If accepted as a 2019 Summer Teen volunteer, you are making a commitment to volunteer weekly to complete the minimum requirement of 75 hours by July 26th.
Volunteer assignments will be for the same day and time each week and participation in the entire length of the program is required. Failure to meet this commitment will prevent participation in future Memorial Hermann-TMC volunteer programs and your hours will not be verified.
- Application: All potential volunteers who can meet the above commitment are asked to fill out an online application which will be made available on this webpage Jan. 1, 2019. Applications must be completed by the teen. Please note this program is highly competitive as our office receives around 400 applications each year. Please do not apply if you are not able to make the commitment.
Only complete applications will be accepted and considered. Applicants with incomplete applications will not be considered for the program
- Interview: Volunteer staff will review and select candidates based on their applications in order to set up a one-on-one interview to be completed in person. Parents/guardians must attend the interview. Interviews are traditionally held in March during Spring Break as to not interfere with school. Volunteer staff will make final selections as to acceptance to the program by the end of April. If you are selected to be a part of the Summer Teen Volunteer Program, you will be asked to complete an online background check as well as provide a current TB test.
During the interview, the applicant will learn about the policies, procedures, day-to–day duties of a hospital volunteer and what is expected of the applicant if accepted into the program.Attending an interview does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- Orientation: All potential volunteers must pass the background check, health screen and interview process before attending an orientation. The Summer Teen program mandatory orientation is tentatively scheduled for June 7, 2019 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Teens will learn about the organization, what it means to volunteer, policies, rules and regulations.
- Training: Each teen will receive one-the-job training in their assigned placements by Memorial Hermann – TMC staff and clinicians during their first official day of volunteering.
- Volunteer: Teens will volunteer a minimum of 12 service hours per week throughout the seven week program. College/general recommendation letters are provided to those students who meet all program requirements.
Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center
Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
6411 Fannin St.
Robertson Pavilion, Ste. 320.8
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 704-4141