The Summer Teen Volunteer Program is for high school students (minimum age 15 years old). It is a seven week program that will begin with a mandatory volunteer orientation tentatively scheduled for June 8, 2018 with the program ending July 27, 2018.
There is a cost associated with this program. All accepted teens are to make a donation of $50 which will cover uniform costs and help fund the Memorial Hermann - TMC Volunteer Foundation. Receipts for the donation can be made available for tax purposes when requested.
We are no longer accepting applications.
- Commitment: The program requires the teen to attend a mandatory orientation (tentatively scheduled June 8, 2018) and to serve at least eight hours every week, not missing any shifts during the seven week program.
- Application: All potential volunteers who can meet the above commitment are asked to fill out an online application which will be made available on this webpage Jan. 1, 2018. Please note this program is highly competitive as our office receives around 700 applications each year. Please do not apply if you are not able to make the commitment.
- Interview: Volunteer staff will review and select candidates based on their applications in order to set up a one-on-one interview to be completed in person. Parents/guardians must attend the interview. Interviews are traditionally held in March during Spring Break as to not interfere with school. Volunteer staff will make final selections as to acceptance to the program by the end of April. If you are selected to be a part of the Summer Teen Volunteer Program, you will be asked to complete an online background check as well as pass a general health screen which is provided at no cost to you by our organization.
- Orientation: All potential volunteers must pass the background check, health screen and interview process before attending an orientation. The Summer Teen program mandatory orientation is tentatively scheduled for June 8, 2018 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Teens will learn about the organization, what it means to volunteer, policies, rules and regulations, as well as participate in a Campus-wide scavenger hunt.
- Training: Each teen will receive one-the-job training in their assigned placements by Memorial Hermann – TMC staff and clinicians during their first official day of volunteering.
- Volunteer: Teens will volunteer a minimum of eight service hours per week throughout the seven week program. College/general recommendation letters are provided to those students who meet all program requirements.
Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center
Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
6411 Fannin St.
Robertson Pavilion, Ste. 320.8
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 704-4141