Diabetes Self-Management Program
The Diabetes Self-Management Program at Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center is an American Diabetes Association Recognized Program. The purpose of the training is to provide patients with the knowledge, skills, and motivation to effectively manage diabetes and to avoid or delay the complications of this disorder.
The program is a planned process that starts with an assessment of individual educational needs, followed by the implementation of the plan and documentation of the process, then concludes with evaluation of the outcomes. Patients are referred by their physicians who are sent a letter following each patient visit.
Our staff of nurse and clinical dietitian certified diabetes educators has the combination of commitment, knowledge and professional support to provide the training that is an integral component of diabetes management.
Types of Training and Therapy
Basic Diabetes Self-Management Training
- Designed for the newly diagnosed patient and the established patient with sub-optimal control (HgbA1c³8%) whose goal is to improve glycemic control
- Currently consists of five individual and/or group sessions over a six-month period
- Includes Medical Nutrition Therapy
Diabetes Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Designed for the established patient who has specific nutrition management needs only
- The Clinical Dietitian Diabetes Educator guides the patient to establish an individualized nutrition plan and lifestyle changes to meet the patient's needs
- The patient is then trained on the knowledge and skills necessary to promote improvement and desired outcomes
- Currently consist of three visits over a two- to three-month period
Gestational Diabetes Training
- Designed to provide training for the newly diagnosed patient on basic management of gestational diabetes and on her individual treatment plan.
- Number and frequency of visits is individualized and determined at time of initial assessment.
Diabetes Support Group
Memorial Hermann The Woodlands hosts a free diabetes support group every odd month on the second Wednesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. and on every even month on the third Wednesday from noon to 1:30 p.m. Bring your own lunch and join us in the Resource Center at Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center, 9250 Pinecroft. Please call (713) 222-CARE(2273) or visit memorialhermann.org/classes-events/ to RSVP. Questions? Call (713) 897-5943.
|1/10/18||6:30 – 8 p.m.||Cooking Demo – Crockpot Meals|
|2/21/18||Noon – 1:30 p.m.||Grocery Shopping Tour at Kroger|
4747 Research Forest Drive, The Woodlands 77380
|3/14/18||6:30 – 8 p.m.||Diabetes & Oral Health|
|4/18/18||Noon – 1:30 p.m.||Cooking Demo: Cooking for Two|
|5/9/18||6:30 – 8 p.m.||TBD: Dining Out – Mexican Food|
|6/20/18||Noon – 1:30 p.m.||Town Hall|
|7/11/18 ||6:30 – 8 p.m.||Bake Off|
|8/15/18||Noon – 1:30 p.m.||TBA|
|9/12/18||6:30 – 8 p.m.||TBA|
|10/17/18||Noon – 1:30 p.m.||TBA|
|11/14/18||6:30 – 8 p.m.||TBA|
|12/19/18||Noon – 1:30 p.m.||TBA|
To make an appointment, call the department at (713) 897-5943.