Everyone was a winner at the Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital Annual Chili Cook-off
TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER (March05,
Hospital Chef David Paulsel, left, Employee of the Year Dorothy Brown and Heath Rushing, service line administrator, took their job of selecting the best chili very, very seriously.
A portion of Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital's McKay Drive parking lot was transformed into a collection of high - and low - cuisine café recently when the hospital's employees sponsored their second annual Chili Cook-off.
A total of 13 lucky teams representing more than 18 departments and units at the hospital served up chili in very creative booths - Bubba's Fillin' Station, Roadkill Café, Space Cowboys Chili and El Jefe's Cantina were among the more imaginative.
Employees were encouraged to come to the transformed parking lot to sample the creative kinds of chili, vote for their favorites, and enjoy a performance by the Humble Wildcatter Square Dancers.
Every entry was a winner but several received awards:
- Best Dressed - Carolyn Gafford
- Best Decorated Booth - El Jefe's Cantina (Quality, Healthcare Improvement and Administration)
- Best Chili
- Third Place - Roadkill Café (Radiology & Lone Star Radiology)
- Second Place - Space Cowboys (Cardiopulmonary)
- First Place - El Jefe's Cantina (Quality, Healthcare Improvement and Administration)
- The Fan Favorite - Bubba's Fillin' Station (Emergency Center)
- Winner of $50 in PIC Merchandise (from purchasing votes) - Vicki Tanner, Case Management
The Chili Cook-off raised more than $600 that will be donated to the PIC Employee Assistance Fund which assists Memorial Hermann employees throughout the System who are experiencing a crisis or catastrophe resulting in a financial emergency.
The Chili Cook-off is sponsored by Partners in Caring, the Memorial Hermann employee organization charged with establishing a unique environment, where patients, families, employees, physicians and all others who enter any Memorial Hermann facility know they are in a special, caring place.