Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health Gives $20,000 to Texas’ Top Non-Profit Breast Cancer Group
THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (June16,
The Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health committee donates $20,000 to The Rose. Pictured from left are Andrea Raiford, co-chair of Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health; Trina Hans, grant writer for The Rose; Carol Wright, director of development for The Rose; and Pat Bertotti, co-chair of Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health.
Last week, Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health co-chairs Pat Bertotti and Andrea Raiford presented a $20,000 check to The Rose, Texas' leading non-profit breast cancer organization providing mammography screening, diagnosis, early access to treatment and support to all women regardless of their ability to pay. A percentage of the funds will be used to mobilize The Rose's mobile mammogram unit to underserved areas of the county four times between July 1, 2010, and June 30, 2011. The remaining funds will be used at the discretion of The Rose.
"The driving passion for the In The Pink of Health committee is to help the underserved - individuals who fall between the cracks of Medicaid and insurance," said Bertotti and Raiford. "We are ecstatic that more than half of the money raised now helps these women. Additionally, we are committed to continuing our support of community resources like Memorial Hermann The Woodlands to ensure access to the best treatment and services for folks right here in Montgomery County."
Additional funds raised will be dispersed as follows:
- $260,000 (58 percent) to assist the underserved. This includes the $20,000 donation to The Rose.
- $100,000 (22 percent) in reserve to purchase new technology.
- $50,000 (11 percent) to fund research.
- $25,000 (5.5 percent) to purchase educational materials for newly-diagnosed breast cancer patients.
- $6,900 (1.5 percent) for a support program for children of those affected by breast cancer.
- $2,500 (.6 percent) for Palliative Care.
- $2,500 (.6 percent) to erect an In the Pink of Health boutique in the Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Breast and Bone Center, where patients and families can purchase In the Pink of Health branded items as well as inspirational and educational items related to the fight against breast cancer.
- $5,100 (1.1 percent) in discretionary funds.
Planning for the 10th Annual Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health Luncheon presented by H-E-B is in full swing. The event is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 8 at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott. Laura Ingraham, nationally syndicated radio host and New York Times best-selling author, will give the keynote address. For more information, including sponsorship opportunities and how to purchase tables or individual tickets (a limited quantity of individual tickets will be sold), call 713.242.4451 or visit www.inthepinkofhealth.org.
Since its inception in 2001, In the Pink of Health has generated more than $1.3 million to support breast cancer patients and their families in The Woodlands and surrounding areas. One hundred percent of the funds raised are allocated to three primary areas - education, technology and community outreach. Throughout the years, proceeds have allowed for the purchase of state-of-the-art screening and diagnostic equipment; access to free mammograms and care for underserved women; educational resources for newly diagnosed patients; and funding for a support program to work with children of those affected by breast cancer.