Memorial Hermann Launches Phased Approach to Safely Resume Services
Diagnostic testing and procedures will resume April 22, in accordance with national and statewide guidance
Memorial Hermann Health System will begin a phased approach to safely resume services that will allow us to address the current and ongoing medical needs of our patients, effective today, Wednesday April 22.
This decision was made in accordance with Gov. Greg Abbott’s recent announcement of the state’s initiative to begin lifting restrictions on elective procedures and surgeries.
Memorial Hermann has designed a phased approach to safely provide medical services that are essential to the overall health and wellbeing of the Houston community while continuing to effectively care for those with COVID-19.
The first phase includes the opening of non-invasive testing and procedures, including MRIs, CTs, mammograms and physical therapy at outpatient facilities and departments across Memorial Hermann. Over the next few weeks, Memorial Hermann plans to safely and cautiously work its way back to outpatient procedures and then surgeries.
“We recognize that many patients may be suffering from serious conditions and the need for medical intervention is essential to their overall health and wellbeing,” said Dr. David Callender, President & CEO, Memorial Hermann.
The Safe Wait™ Measure
As part of its plan, Memorial Hermann is implementing a Safe Wait™ measure that enforces social distancing in its waiting areas, staggering scheduled appointments and, when necessary, asking our patients to wait in their vehicles for their appointments.
Additional safety enhancements include:
- All employees, physicians and patients will be screened upon entering any Memorial Hermann facility and provided a surgical mask after clearing the screening process.
- Employees and physicians caring for patients will be provided the recommended personal protective equipment (PPE).
- The no visitor policy remains in place for all Memorial Hermann facilities (with limited exceptions).
- Infection prevention control best practices, including the thorough cleaning and sterilization efforts in between each and every patient visit, will continue.
- As an additional safety measure, patients will be tested for COVID-19 prior to surgeries.
The plan also includes COVID-19 testing for Memorial Hermann clinical employees and physicians working in select areas.
“We will continue to closely monitor the situation in Greater Houston. We remain confident in our ability to care for COVID-19 patients, while safely and thoughtfully bringing other procedures back online for the benefit of our patients. We have an adequate supply of PPE, access to treatments and research protocols, innovative solutions to protect our workforce and community, as well as the very best employees and physicians caring for our patients,” said Dr. Callender.