Telehealth Visits for Physical Therapy
While our physical therapy locations remain open and ready to serve, Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation and Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute locations offer telehealth visits for patients that are in need of physical therapy. You may have the option of using telehealth visits to obtain care from the comfort of your home.
What are telehealth services for physical therapy?
Telehealth services for physical therapy consist of a video appointment with one of our physical therapists. During this appointment, patients will receive an initial evaluation and personalized treatment designed to help relieve pain, improve mobility and increase strength.
Below is a list of common conditions that can be treated through telehealth services, including, but not limited to:
- Any joint pain
- Radiculopathy (lower back pain)
- Rotator Cuff tear
- Femoracetabular Impingement
- Shoulder Impingement
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Patients can schedule a telehealth or in-person physical therapy appointment by calling (713) 521-0020 or 1-888-301-8477.
How does it work?
- Calls the Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine Central Scheduling Center, at (713) 521-0020 or 1-888-301-8477 or their preferred Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation or IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute location to schedule a telehealth appointment. Appointments are scheduled during normal business hours.
- Receives an email with information and instructions on how to access the telehealth appointment.
- Prepares by using a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer with an updated internet browser.
- Accesses an appointment link via email or text message to start. The appointment should take place in a specifically designated space. This space should be cleared of all trip hazards. It should also be well lit and large enough to perform therapeutic exercises and stretches.
How long is the appointment?
The session can range from 30-60 minutes. The initial evaluation will be scheduled for one hour.
Can new patients schedule a telehealth appointment?
Yes. New, current and returning patients are able to schedule physical therapy using telehealth.
Who is eligible for physical therapy telehealth visits?
Telehealth visits are available for patients in the middle of ongoing treatment as well as new patients. For existing patients, please reach out to your physical therapist to discuss your situation and how you would like to proceed with physical therapy. For new patients, please request a telehealth evaluation upon scheduling.
Can my first visit as a new patient be a telehealth visit?
Yes. New patients are able to schedule a physical therapy telehealth visit. The initial evaluation can be performed via a telehealth visit if you have a physician referral. If you do not have a physician referral, an in-person initial evaluation is required. After the initial evaluation, telehealth visits can be scheduled if that is preferred.
Do I need a referral for a telehealth visit?
No, a physician referral is not required for a telehealth visit if you are a current or existing patient. However, if you are a new patient and do not have a referral, your initial evaluation must be performed in person. After the initial evaluation, telehealth visits can be scheduled as needed.
Do I need special equipment to do a telehealth visit?
No, you do not require any special equipment. Physical therapy is based on a personalized treatment plan. Your physical therapist will determine how to best treat you while taking into consideration your specific needs. However, to do a telehealth visit, you will need a functioning smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer with camera access and microphone.
Does insurance cover physical therapy telehealth visits?
Yes, many insurance companies will cover the same benefits you would have with an in-person physical therapy visit. We will verify your telehealth benefits prior to your visit.
All Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation and IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute locations throughout Houston remain open. Patients can schedule a telehealth or in-person physical therapy appointment by calling (713) 521-0020 or 1-888-301-8477.