Wheelchair and Mobility Assessments
Our Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Assessments are for any patient requiring the use of wheeled mobility in their home, work and community environments.
The program enables you to try a wide variety of manual and power wheelchairs, seating and positioning accessories and environmental challenges. You can trial the device and make accurate and informed decisions based on its performance.
- Maximize independence and safety in the home and community
- Improve posture and function in the wheelchair
- Prevent secondary medical, orthopedic and skin problems caused by improper seating
- Provide demonstration equipment, simulation of the seating system and diagnostic tools, such as pressure mapping, to optimize comfort and function
With so many products in the market to choose from, information on the latest technology can be overwhelming.
TIRR Memorial Hermann keeps abreast of new and innovative technologies and monitors federal guidelines in the area of seating and mobility. We also work closely with local, certified and credentialed durable medical equipment providers and manufacturer representatives to provide comprehensive, patient-focused options.
Schedule an Assessment
For more information or to schedule an assessment, call (713) 797-7386.
Specialized Assessment: The SMARTWheel®
The SmartWheel is a clinical tool that assists with:
- Wheelchair Selection and Set-Up: The SmartWheel quantifies patient ease or difficulty in propelling different chairs or chair set-ups.
- Propulsion (momentum/propel) Training: Real-time visual feedback assists wheelchair users to reduce force and repetitive stress on their arms by using longer, less frequent strokes.
How a person propels a wheelchair is analyzed by a TIRR Memorial Hermann therapist specially qualified to perform the assessment by measuring every push on the hand rim. The SmartWheel then puts the data into easy-to-use automated summary reports to give clinicians better data to help manual wheelchair users improve quality of life.
Benefits of the SmartWheel
The SmartWheel is for people with good hand function. Benefits include:
- Eliminates pushing on the tire
- Gives a better grip for better performance with every push
- Eases pain in hands and wrists
- Provides greater control when braking
- Retrofits to your existing wheels
Patients or families interested in wheelchair seating and mobility assessments may call (713) 797-7386 or toll-free at 1-800-44-REHAB (73422).