Groundbreaking clinical and translational research is happening every day at Memorial Hermann. Search for a research study or clinical trial or find out how to participate or volunteer.
Memorial Hermann is dedicated to improving the health of the people in our community. Providing the best patient care is an important part of that goal. While the face of healthcare will continue to change in coming years, one fact remains: the role of clinical research will remain vitally important to the future of medicine.
Schedule an Appointment with MHHS Research Pharmacy Only (Not for Patients)
online scheduling for MHHS Research Pharmacy IDS powered by HealthPost
The Clinical Innovation & Research Institute (CIRI) facilitates the promotion and establishment of collaborative relationships between Memorial Hermann Health System, McGovern Medical School, private practice clinics and the community. We foster collaborative partnerships between clinicians, academicians, industry and public sectors to conduct and produce meaningful, quality research to benefit society.
In 2016, Memorial Hermann reached an unparalleled research milestone of 2,000 studies across the system. The significant growth of research at Memorial Hermann is due to several factors, including:
- Significant research grants received by McGovern Medical School
- Increased research participation by medical staff, community hospital physicians and private practice physicians
- Expanding multi-disciplinary collaborations
Current Memorial Hermann research studies involve all service lines, with particular focus on the areas of neurology and neurosurgery, cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, oncology, pediatrics and neonatology, trauma, neuro-rehabilitation and advocacy for persons with disabilities. Search for a research study or clinical trial.
The research is funded as follows:
- Federal grants - approximately 40%
- Pharmaceutical industry - approximately 30%
- Outside funding - approximately 30%, involving standard-of-care procedures or no procedural interventions
The high volume of in-house research conducted in the Memorial Hermann system has many benefits for healthcare providers and their patients, including:
- New, state-of-the-art treatment options for patients
- Improved clinical practices
- Enhanced local and national medical reputation
Clinical Innovation & Research Institute Leadership
The leadership of the Clinical Innovation & Research Institute includes:
Director, Clinical Research Operations
Sheila L. Ryan JD, MPH, CCRP
To further medical knowledge by encouraging and supporting translational and clinical research in order to improve the health of the community and provide innovative, breakthrough treatments to our patients.
- To facilitate clinicians’ and researchers’ aim to further link the basic and clinical sciences, also known as translational medicine, and develop more personalized solutions for treating individual patients
- To foster an environment supportive of high-quality innovative research
- To support clinical research education
- To serve as an advocate for research subjects by creating an environment supporting good clinical practice in research