Intestinal Rehabilitation & Transplant Center
The Intestinal Rehabilitation & Transplant Center (IRTC) at the Texas Liver Center provides the full gamut of care for patients with gastrointestinal disorders requiring chronic, outpatient total parenteral nutritional (TPN) therapy. The management of these patients poses a complex medical and surgical challenge that can be met by the resources available at the IRTC.
Types of Intestinal Rehabilitation
Three main overlapping forms of therapy are available:
- Intestinal rehabilitation
- Optimization of TPN to minimize complications
- Intestinal transplantation
Are You a Candidate?
The IRTC team facilitates the rapid assessment and treatment of patients with short-gut syndrome and intestinal failure, who are TPN dependent or have other gastrointestinal disorders. The latest strategies will be applied to assure that all patients have their chances of achieving partial or complete independence from TPN maximized.
When this is not possible, TPN can be managed by an experienced team to ensure patient safety and quality of life. In this way transplantation can be avoided or delayed.
However, for those in whom transplantation is inevitable, this option is available at the IRTC without need for external referral. No other center in the region currently offers a multidisciplinary approach to the management of these patients with transplantation as an option for those who fail rehabilitation.
Adult and pediatric patients can be referred to the center for:
- Evaluation for intestinal or combined intestinal and liver transplantation
- TPN management for patients with long-term needs
- Intestinal rehabilitation for short-gut syndrome, intestinal fistulae, malabsorption or dysmotility to establish independence from TPN
- Liver disease related to TPN use (cholestasis or cirrhosis)
- TPN vascular access issues (catheter malfunction, thrombosis, infections, etc.)
- Referral for intestinal surgery of any type (excluding surgery for obesity)
- Functional disorders (malabsorption, motility, pseudo-obstruction)
The center is staffed by adult and pediatric gastroenterologists and a hepatologist, as well transplant surgeons of the Texas Liver Center.
Appointments and Referrals
Referrals to can be made by contacting the Texas Liver Center at (713) 704-5200 or (800) 98-LIVER. Urgent referrals for inpatient transfers or admissions can be made through the Memorial Hermann transfer center at (713) 704-2500.
A registered nurse practitioner, registered dietician, social worker, neuropsychologist and financial counselor are onsite to provide multidisciplinary support necessary to manage this complex patient population.
The center is open every Tuesday at 9 a.m.