- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced, OR ¼ a yellow or white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter (optional, omit for Whole30 or dairy-free diets), creates a silky texture and creamier flavor
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and sauté, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and celery and sauté for another minute. Add tomatoes and their juices and salt, stir to combine.
- Simmer on low-to-medium heat until vegetables are softened, 10-15 minutes or up to an hour on the lowest simmer.
- Puree with a handheld immersion blender, or carefully transfer ingredients to a blender or Vitamix to puree, and taste for seasoning. Add more salt if desired. If adding butter, keep the heat on low and stir in butter until it’s melted and incorporated into the sauce.
Notes: Sauce freezes very well – consider making a double batch and freezing some for another dinner down the road. Use within 3-6 months after freezing.
Recipe by Marcia Smart of Smart in the Kitchen.
Subscribe to get the latest health and wellness articles
More Health & Wellness
What You Should Know About Jet LagRead more
Postpartum Anxiety and Depression ExplainedRead more
Preparing Your Body for PregnancyRead more
Welcoming a New Baby: Is Your Home Prepared?Read more
The Next Steps for COVID-19: Antibodies, Herd-Immunity and VaccinesRead more
Hurricane Preparedness During COVID-19Read more
The (Literal) Aches and Pains of Working From HomeRead more
COVID-19 and Your Heart: What You Need to KnowRead more
Wearing Masks: Fact vs. FictionRead more