Causes of constipation during cancer treatment can include chemotherapy, pain and other symptom management medications, and lack of activity, fiber and fluids.
To address constipation, drink more liquids such as water, prune juice and hot teas with lemon.
Other suggestions include:
- Focus on consuming significant amounts of liquids at once, especially if regular consumption of liquids is challenging or unpleasant for you.
- Drink prune juice followed by 8 ounces of warm to hot water.
- Increase fiber with beans, legumes, bran cereals, oatmeal, apples, pears, milled flaxseed and chia seeds.
- Add canned coconut milk to soups or smoothies.
- Increase physical activity – take a walk or other moderate exercise every day.
- Consider a fiber supplement or over-the-counter medications such as stool softeners or laxatives if necessary; always consult your health practitioner before taking medications and remember to drink plenty of fluids with medications and supplements.
Try the following recipe, which serves as a natural food laxative:
Combine all of these ingredients and store refrigerated in a sealed container for up to seven days:
- 1 ¼ cups plain, wheat bran flakes
- 1 cup prune juice
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon of molasses or honey
- 2-3 dashes of cinnamon
Take 2 tablespoons of this recipe in the evening. The amount may be increased to 3 or 4 tablespoons per day if needed.
For more information about Memorial Hermann Cancer Centers, including how to get connected to our support services or an affiliated provider, please call (833) 770-7771 or fill out the form below to be connected to one of our Oncology Nurse Navigators.
Important Information About the COVID-19 Vaccine
By filling out this form, you are contacting an Oncology Nurse Navigator from Memorial Hermann Cancer Centers. At this time, our oncology nurse navigators are unable to schedule vaccination appointments.
For more information on COVID-19 vaccinations, please visit our Vaccine Information Hub or get in touch with Memorial Hermann by calling (833) 772-2864 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org