At Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital, children are our whole focus.
Since 1947 with the first successful "blue baby" operation, to the recent first living donor liver transplant in Houston in a 10-month-old baby, a list of firsts and successes mark our place as one of the premier hospitals in the United States for treating children.
Comprising four floors in the Hermann Pavilion within Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital provides skilled, attentive staff, cheerful décor and spacious, safe play areas in order to make every child's stay as positive as possible.
The hospital's pediatric intensive care, special care and general pediatric units ensure that children of all ages and medical conditions benefit from specialized services provided in a place created just for them.
- Pediatric Intensive Care for the treatment of children with life-threatening injuries, pediatric oncology patients and other critically ill patients.
- A Children's Special Care Unit for those in need of extra attention such as post-transplant patients or those with seizures and gastrointestinal problems.
- Specialty clinics developed to treat illnesses and conditions such as asthma, diabetes, gastrointestinal disorders, dentistry and general care.
Children's Heart Program
Children require special equipment because they have smaller hearts and blood vessels. The Children's Heart Program, affiliated with The University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, understands these needs and therefore, provides a multidisciplinary approach to the diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired heart problems in children.
- Program specializations include Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery, Pediatric Anesthesiology, Pediatric Perfusion and Child Life, an assistance program to help patients and families prepare for and recover from treatments and surgeries.
- The program is equipped to treat all areas of pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular surgery and provides dedicated diagnostic services that include catheterization labs, echocardiograms, electrocardiograms, angiography, Holter monitors, CT scans and MRI.
- Cardiologists are able to provide expert diagnosis of cardiac problems as well as preventive cardiology. Specific areas of expertise include interventional cardiology like balloon valvuloplasty and angioplasty, stents and occlusion, fetal cardiology and genetic counseling, and investigational drug studies.
- Pioneering advances in pediatric heart surgery, cardiovascular surgeons are performing early, one-stage corrective surgeries, neonatal and pediatric open and closed heart procedures, and cardiopulmonary bypass.
Children's Neuroscience Center
A destination for patients from every corner of the world, the Children's Neuroscience Center is dedicated to providing exceptional care in pediatric neurology. Pediatric neurologists and nurses are able to diagnose and treat a broad range of disorders from the common to the complex and rare. Major areas of focus include treatment of epilepsy, brain tumors, spina bifida, head trauma, neuromuscular disease, movement disorders, craniofacial disorders, hydrocephalus, neurofibromatosis, cerebral palsy and sleep disorders.
- The Texas Comprehensive Epilepsy Program is the leading medical establishment in the Southwestern United States for diagnosing and treating patients of all ages for seizures and epilepsy. Young people have access to our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, which offers the latest in diagnosis and treatment of epileptic conditions from anticonvulsant medications to surgical intervention.
- Pediatric Neurosurgery provides expertise in craniofacial surgery, spinal deformities, microsurgical nerve repair, traumatic brain and spine injury, cerebrovascular disease and congenital malformations.
- Conditions are diagnosed through the use of dedicated pediatric imaging services, including MRI and CT, Magnetoencephalography (MEG), neurovascular imaging and Single Photon Emission Computerized Tomography (SPECT).
Nurses on our Neonatal and Pediatric Transport Teams are experts in the transport and care of critically ill patients in need of specialized services. Transportation is provided by fixed-wing Lear jet and/or our Life Flight® air ambulance service. Our teams transport patients as quickly as possible and provide the highest level of care while en route to the hospital.